Position: Summer Learning Activators
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery
72 Queen Street
Oshawa L1H 3Z3
Deadline to apply: February 23, 2020
Start Date: June 1, 2020
Finish Date: August 28, 2020
*Contracts range from 6 weeks – 13 weeks in length
Do you remember your most fantastic summer camp experience? Were there camp counsellors that were energetic and adored? You could be part of the dream team of Summer Learning Activators for The RMG!
At The Robert McLaughlin Gallery you could be part of an outstanding team of student activators who broaden and enrich young audiences’ experiences, inspiring hearts and minds with a lifelong love of the possibilities within the arts.
This full-time position is also an outstanding opportunity for you to gain practical, hands-on job experience in a cultural institution.
You’ll be a perfect fit if you are…
- Outgoing, energetic and between 18 & 30 years of age
- Currently enrolled in a College/University Fine Arts (arts education, art history or studio arts), Cultural Management, Curatorial/Museum Studies, Physical Education, Social Work or Education program & returning to full time studies
- Graduating high school June 2020 and starting College/University in a full-time capacity in fall 2020
- Able to commit to the full term of employment
- Confident to communicate with, motivate, instruct and inspire children and youth
- Comfortable working in a team-teaching environment, in both a supportive role and as a lead facilitator
- An effective communicator, with strong interpersonal skills
- Experienced working with children and/or youth
- Experienced within the community arts/ culture sector
- Experienced working with children with special needs (asset)
- Willing to adapt to a variety of learning styles and student needs
- Eager to facilitate and engage in fun free-time outdoor activities
- Highly organized and efficient
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to provide a clear Criminal Reference Check (mandatory)
- Have basic First Aid & CPR (an asset)
- Tech savvy (an asset)
This position is an outstanding opportunity for a College/University student interested in pursuing a career in the field of arts or education to gain practical experience. The position will allow students to use and further develop their communication, administrative, art-making and teaching skills. The main responsibilities will be assisting with our summer art camps (8 weeks), instructing children 5-12 years old, preparing art materials, and leading inclusive camp activities. Students will also assist with organizing and delivering outreach activities at community events in our Pop-up Tent as part of the Gallery summer programming. The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that our facility is fully wheelchair accessible.
All interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by email to: Jessica Gouldthorp, Learning & Engagement Programming Assistant. [email protected] by February 23, 2020.