The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is situated on the ancestral lands and treaty lands of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation and the traditional territory of the Mississauga Nation.
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is a vibrant and engaging art gallery dedicated to sharing and protecting the stories of our communities through art, shared authority, education, and engagement. The Gallery is a meeting place for exploration and experimentation, a place where art, artists, and the community come together in conversation.
Strategic Plan 2018-2020: Forging Change through Connection and Creativity
The RMG has set an exciting and transformational intention for 2021, which will leverage its strengths and amplify its community-facing role, making art and artists more accessible, connected and central to the minds and hearts of residents, and to important social change efforts. This new direction will elevate The RMG’s role and contribution to a thriving community.
Oshawa and Durham Region flourish through arts, culture and community connection and resilience.
We work together with our communities to create conversations through the arts that encourage people to experience the world differently.
We put people first.
- We empower artists as essential communicators and navigators of our complex times.
- We respect and cultivate personal agency.
- Our growing collection reflects changing Canadian identities and perspectives.
We contribute to a vibrant community.
- We serve as a welcoming community hub and gathering place, cultivating civic roots and reach.
- We are aware of events that impact our communities and take a firm stance in our response.
- We share learning, authority and expertise with our communities.
- We are agile and responsive, making space for diverse stories, experiences and perspectives.
We embrace sustainable innovation.
- We foster experimentation and risk taking.
- We balance artistic objectives with fiscal responsibility.
- We believe none of this is achievable without diversity, equity and inclusive practice.