Welcome to our new outdoor space!
Enjoy a picnic, read a book, catch up with a friend, listen to the sounds of the creek, meditate, do some yoga – use this space to bring you joy and well-being.
About The Backyard
Over the past year, we’ve been working collaboratively with landscape architects Brook McIlroy and artists LeuWebb Projects to re-imagine the greenspace directly behind the gallery. With feedback from our Community Advisory Circle and staff team, our plans reimagine the backyard as a new type of public space that incorporates creativity, play and art. Featuring a new shade and performance space, seating, gardens and barrier-free accessibility to the creek, visitors will be able to explore nature differently, connect with community and dream new possibilities.
The Backyard at the RMG will feature programming for all ages, abilities and interests. Follow the RMG for up-to-date information and to participate in community events. The RMG will also be seeking support for phase two of development that is hoped to launch in 2024 to commemorate the City of Oshawa’s centennial celebrations.
- Please note that on summer weekdays, RMG summer campers participate in activities in this space.
- There are garbage and recycling bins by the doors. Please keep our Backyard clean by disposing correctly of all waste when you leave.
- Entry and exit to the Backyard is through the main doors of the RMG. It is also accessible and free!
- The Backyard will close 30 minutes before the galleries each day.
- The following are not permitted in the Backyard: smoking or vaping of any kind, dogs (exception of support animals), alcohol consumption (unless for an event), and illegal activities.